Aeron Performance Testing on AWS
Step-by-step guide to benchmarking Aeron in your AWS environment
- Detailed latency and throughput test results and analysis
- Technical instructions and configurations on how to set up and run performance tests with Aeron on AWS
- Why you should test Aeron performance
- Further testing resources
Adaptive achieves a 51% drop in latency and increases throughput with Aeron Premium on AWS
Aeron Performance on AWS
To support our clients’ speed and performance requirements, we tested our messaging & clustering technology Aeron on Amazon instances to prove the speed and resilience that can be achieved for low-latency, high-throughput trading systems in the cloud.
We ran performance tests for both, open-source Aeron as well as Aeron Premium. They differ in how they access the network card; Open-source Aeron uses BSD sockets, Aeron Premium uses DPDK.
Here is what we tested:
- Aeron at its lowest level, using Aeron Transport to push network throughput and latencies to their extreme
- Aeron Transport Security (ATS), an Aeron Premium component that uses industry-standard cryptography primitives
- Aeron Cluster, to show the throughput and latency that a highly available system could achieve